Lemon rice is a typical south Indian dish and it’s often packed for picnics / lunch boxes by many south Indians. It’s very simple and easy to make and keeps good for long journeys… To enjoy lemon rice, potato crisps are a must. Some like them with Vadaam (fat papad-straws) or pickle.
• 2 cups Rice
• 2 to 4 (depending on the juice) Lemons
• 2 tbsp Peanuts
• 1 tsp Turmeric
• 2 tbsp Chana dal
• 1 tbsp Urad dal
• 2-3 Red chilies
• 2-3 Green chilies
• 2 tbsp Mustard seeds
• 1 tsp Jeera
• 1 small bunch of Curry leaves
• 1/2 cup Oil
• Cook rice, drain and keep it aside.
• Add to the rice (not very hot) little oil, turmeric, salt and mix it well.
• Now squeeze lemon juice and add it (according to taste) to rice and mix well.
• Heat oil in a pan, add chana dal, green chilies, urad dal, peanuts, red chilies, curry leaves, mustard and jeera to fry.
• When the ingredients turn brown and mustard starts to splutter, add this to the above prepared rice.
• Now your Lemon Rice is ready.